Arts for All Ages
Fine and performing arts instruction at Pinewood takes place in a student-centered environment. Students explore the arts in small class settings that offer individualized attention. Pinewood’s arts faculty members, who graduated from leading university arts programs, have years of experience in their fields as artists and as instructors.
Curriculum, in addition to class size and faculty, sets apart the Pinewood arts experience. Students will develop into artists using the top curriculum in the field, for example, Game Plan (Lower School Music), the Austin Classical Guitar Society model, and Teaching for Artistic Behaviors (High School Visual Art).
Faculty members go beyond teaching facts - instead, they teach processes and ways of thinking to create autonomous artists. Music Technology students write and record their own songs on campus. Students in choirs and instrumental ensembles learn how to read music independently. Beginning in Lower School, theatre students are taught skills that are then put into practice in production. Student artists of all levels display their work at art shows throughout the school year.
- Average class size: 12 students, with class sizes ranging between three and 20 students
- Pinewood arts graduates have been accepted at some of the nation’s top collegiate arts programs, including NYU Tisch (Musical Theatre), the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (Opera), and SCAD (Fashion Design)
- Many students who opt to major in other fields continue their art studies in college, where they place in the top ensembles
What's New in Fine & Performing Arts
The Middle and High School guitar students are preparing for a virtual guitar performance in December.
Lower School Drama: Stephanie Klixbull
- The Middle School Theatre Tech and Design classes have continued learning about different ways that light and sound can impact the mood and atmosphere of a show. They are currently working on independent research projects on the designer of their choice.
- The Grade 6 rotation class recently designed the lighting for the Lower School Veterans Day show!
High School Theatre: Amanda Ehrlich
- The High School Theatre Tech and Design students have been designing the stage for our upcoming one-act play, "Little Women."
- The Musical Theatre and Film Study class has been very busy! Students recently completed two commercials for the Lower School reading incentive program. They are currently working on two new film pieces that we will share with the Pinewood community when they are finished.
- The High School Actor’s Workshop Class has been working very hard on their upcoming show, "Little Women." This performance will be filmed and shown virtually.
- PK3: Clay Pumpkin, Snowman Prints
- PK4: Shape House Collage, Owl Babies, Colorful Pumpkins
- K5: Matisse Cutouts, Klee Portraits, Starlight Pumpkins
- 1: Spooky Starry Nights, Dali Birds, Autumn Fox
- 2: Fall Leaves, Value Pumpkins, Harper Cardinals
- 3: Fall Tree Collage, Northern Lights
- 4: Winter Mountain Landscapes, O’Keeffe Flowers
- 5: Winter Birch Trees, Weaving
- 6: 1-Point Perspective, Beyond the Border, Self Portraits
Upper School Visual Art: Victoria Strang
- The 2020 school year is off to a great start for Lower School Music! Mrs. Cunningham is traveling to all homeroom classes with her little red wagon and sharing the joy of music instruction with the students.
- Guitar students are working on music for an end of semester performance. Songs include "Hush You Bye," "Saltarello," "Tango," "Minor Waltz," "Neptune Run" and "Koi Under Moon Bridge."
- Choir students are focusing on vocal jazz pieces. Songs include "When I Fall in Love," "Lucky," "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" and "But Not for Me."
- One student is rehearsing for his All-State Choir audition. Mr. Klixbull is working with a High School senior, a student director, on an arrangement of "Skyfall."
- It is brainstorming time in the Music Technology class! The Music Technology students are currently composing music, debating chord progressions and song structure, and writing lyrics to compose the original songs that they will start recording next quarter. Stay tuned!
- Mrs. Klixbull is thrilled to be teaching Lower School Drama again! Drama Club meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school to rehearse for a spectacular show that we will perform this Spring 2021.
- The Middle School Theatre Tech and Design classes recently studied the different types of stages and then created proscenium stages.
- Our High School Theatre Tech and Design class has been learning about different lighting concepts. Students have begun working with the equipment in the booth. They will move on to designing for the one-act performance later this year.
- We have a Musical Theatre and Film Study class here at Pinewood! Kristin Lowery, who began a film company with some friends several years ago, is working on learning more through an independent study. We are excited to share some of her work with you today! Check out Kristin's short film here!
- Our High School Actor’s Workshop Class recently turned songs into monologues, and knocked it out of the park! We have moved on to a storytelling workshop, while also building our ensemble through team building activities. These stories will be shared soon so, stay tuned!
- The Panther Paws dance team kicked off the school year by working on guidelines, so we can safely begin meeting later in the year. We have plans underway to offer a Lower School group as well as an Upper School group this year!
- PK3- Do-A-Dot Shape Book, Leak Man, Shape Robots
- PK4- Shape Name Letters, Line Sculptures
- K5- “The Dot,” Line Kites
- 1- Keith Haring Figures, Cezanne Still Lifes
- 2- Kandinsky Circles, Greek Vases
- 3- Jonathan Green Portraits, Realistic Robots
- 4- Day of the Dead Skulls, Metal Masks
- 5- Graffiti Name, Rainforest Pastel Animal
- 6- Figure Drawings, Clay Tiles, Insect Prints
- Upper School semester artwork is underway!