Arts for All Ages
Fine and performing arts instruction at Pinewood takes place in a student-centered environment. Students explore the arts in small class settings that offer individualized attention. Pinewood’s arts faculty members, who graduated from leading university arts programs, have years of experience in their fields as artists and as instructors.
Curriculum, in addition to class size and faculty, sets apart the Pinewood arts experience. Students will develop into artists using the top curriculum in the field, for example, Game Plan (Lower School Music), the Austin Classical Guitar Society model, and Teaching for Artistic Behaviors (High School Visual Art).
Faculty members go beyond teaching facts - instead, they teach processes and ways of thinking to create autonomous artists. Music Technology students write and record their own songs on campus. Students in choirs and instrumental ensembles learn how to read music independently. Beginning in Lower School, theatre students are taught skills that are then put into practice in production. Student artists of all levels display their work at art shows throughout the school year.
- Average class size: 12 students, with class sizes ranging between three and 20 students
- Pinewood arts graduates have been accepted at some of the nation’s top collegiate arts programs, including NYU Tisch (Musical Theatre), the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (Opera), and SCAD (Fashion Design)
- Many students who opt to major in other fields continue their art studies in college, where they place in the top ensembles
What's New in Fine & Performing Arts
Quarter 2: 2020-2021
The Middle and High School guitar students are preparing for a virtual guitar performance in December.
Lower School Drama: Stephanie Klixbull
- The Middle School Theatre Tech and Design classes have continued learning about different ways that light and sound can impact the mood and atmosphere of a show. They are currently working on independent research projects on the designer of their choice.
- The Grade 6 rotation class recently designed the lighting for the Lower School Veterans Day show!
High School Theatre: Amanda Ehrlich
- The High School Theatre Tech and Design students have been designing the stage for our upcoming one-act play, "Little Women."
- The Musical Theatre and Film Study class has been very busy! Students recently completed two commercials for the Lower School reading incentive program. They are currently working on two new film pieces that we will share with the Pinewood community when they are finished.
- The High School Actor’s Workshop Class has been working very hard on their upcoming show, "Little Women." This performance will be filmed and shown virtually.
- PK3: Clay Pumpkin, Snowman Prints
- PK4: Shape House Collage, Owl Babies, Colorful Pumpkins
- K5: Matisse Cutouts, Klee Portraits, Starlight Pumpkins
- 1: Spooky Starry Nights, Dali Birds, Autumn Fox
- 2: Fall Leaves, Value Pumpkins, Harper Cardinals
- 3: Fall Tree Collage, Northern Lights
- 4: Winter Mountain Landscapes, O’Keeffe Flowers
- 5: Winter Birch Trees, Weaving
- 6: 1-Point Perspective, Beyond the Border, Self Portraits
Upper School Visual Art: Victoria Strang